Restring Baby Face Dolls by Galoob:
PrillyCharmin's Popbead Method!
SUPPLIES & OVERVIEW
YOU WILL NEED:
- Stringing cord, approx. 1+ yard per doll. Our #4 cord is a little larger and stronger than the original BF cord. (The Stringing Kits in our Doll Shop include the necessary beads, washers and cord.)
- Small needlenose pliers or blunt nose pliers. Or both.
- 7 or 8 inch hemostats (recommended but optional.)
- Elmers Household glue or good white craft glue (NOT School Glue.)
- Hair dryer (blow dryer)
FOR THE HEAD:
- 1 -- 22mm wood bead with 3/8 inch hole
- 1 -- large plastic bead
- 1 -- 1/4 nylon washer
FOR THE ARMS & LEGS:
- 3 -- 22mm wood bead with a 7/32 hole.
- 7 -- #8 small metal washers
- 4 -- 1/4 nylon washers
- 2 -- copper crimp sleeves
Below are photos of the cord and tools that you will need.
STRINGING CORD and LARGE BEADS.
STRINGING CORD SIZES. YOU NEED SIZE 3 or 4.
HEMOSTATS, GLUE, SCISSORS & PLIERS
Hemostat medical forceps (clamp). Sometimes I need two at a time, to hold one thing while I work with another. The 7 inch straight hemostats are my favorite, if you want an all-purpose size. The 6 inch and 8 inch hemostats are also good sizes for working with dolls. Straight ones are better than curved, but if all you have are the curved hemostats, that's ok.
OVERVIEW OF THIS PROJECT:
Baby Face dolls have plugs, cups and cones inside. Here is a photo of black Natalie in pieces:
- 1.) shoulder cup
- 2.) lower arm plug
- 3.) large hip cup
- 3b.) small hip cup
- 4.) lower leg plug
- 4b.) different kind of leg plug
- 5.) head cone
- 6.) neck cone inside the body neck
With the popbead method, you can restring each arm or leg separately without having to take the whole doll apart.
If you need to restring the doll's HEAD (which is usually the first to go floppy) you will want to string the doll's HEAD FIRST. The popbeads for the arms do crowd up the chest cavity, so you don't want to do arms until after the head is restrung. After the head is done, then work on any limbs that need it.
Once you're comfortable with this procedure, it can take less than an hour to completely restring a Baby Face doll. And she will be VERY snug, good for years to come!
We have a special restringing kit for BABY FACE in our doll shop. CLICK HERE.